Your high-end car is an expensive investment. You wouldn’t want to risk having it damaged in any way. You wouldn’t trust just any logistics company to transport it. We urge you to thoroughly research auto haulers that offer luxury car shipping services. Make sure you learn all about the process and the company before handing over the key.
In our guide, you will find the information you need to successfully transport your luxury car. You will find answers to the following commonly asked questions:
- How does auto transport work?
- What are the specifics of shipping a luxury vehicle?
- What type of trailer is recommended for a luxury car?
- How much does it cost to ship a luxury car?
- Should you get a car shipping insurance?
How does auto transport work?
Before we get into the details of shipping a luxury car, let’s go over the main aspects of shipping a vehicle to another state. This is what you do when you start your search and selection of transport companies.
- It’s important to organize your schedule and find time to research auto transport companies.
- Dedicated car owners want to stay away from companies without proven safety revord.
- When you search online, don’t stop at the first page of Google. Review several companies until you narrow down a list of trustworthy auto transport companies.
- Once you’ve picked a handful of companies, the next step is to request several car shipping quotes.
- Make sure you understand all rates and familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions.
- Read customer reviews and check the auto transporter’s reputation and licenses.
- Request a free no obligation quote online. Preferably you should call and speak with a logistics specialist.
- Take your time to select a company you want to work with to ship your luxury vehicle.
- A logistics expert will schedule your shipment based on your desired shipping dates. Keep in mind that dates are never guaranteed. If you are looking for very specific dates, discuss this with your agent.
- After you and the car transporter agree on the details of service, a carrier will pick up your car one to a few days from your first available date.
- It’s important to remember that the carrier must inspect your vehicle before loading it and fill out an inspection report, which you and the carrier sign.
- Transit time depends mainly on the distance – your agent will inform you of the estimated pick-up and delivery date and time.
- At delivery, inspect the vehicle alongside the carrier and then sign the Bill of Lading, the document that releases the auto transporter from any further responsibility.
Now, that you’ve got an idea about how auto transport works, it is time to prepare your vehicle for shipping. Review our guide on how to prepare your car for shipping to learn all details you need to know.
What are the specifics of shipping a luxury vehicle?
Most luxury car owners prefer hiring an auto transporter instead of driving the car across the state or the country. The reason they do so is because they don’t want to expose their luxury vehicle to any possible road damages.
Shipping a luxury, sports or classic automobile usually requires covered trailer. This protects the vehicle from road and weather elements such as dust and flying rock debris. This is how you will protect a high-end automobile from possible dents and scratches. However, often, not any covered trailer will work. Very often you need a covered trailer with a hydraulic lift gate that can safely load and unload any luxury or sports car. This really depends on the vehicle clearence and your personal preferences. Additionaly, some auto transporters provide white glove service and vehicle wraping. You can call our office and discuss all this with one of our logistics experts.
What type of trailer is recommended to ship a luxury car?
Generally, there are two types of auto transport trailers you can usually choose from – open and enclosed. Before deciding what’s best for your car, let’s delve into advantages of both options.
- Open auto transport is the most used auto shipping method. An open carrier is not only less expensive, but it is more efficient, and usually faster than an enclosed carrier. Depending on the type of trailer, it can fit up to ten cars at once, which makes it more efficient, less epxpensive and also less polluting. On the downside, it can expose your car to more weather and road hazards compared to enclosed auto transport. Open trailer is not recommended for high end automobiles, unless you are shipping such a car a very short distance.
- Enclosed auto transport is the preferred shipping method for sports, luxury, and classic vehicles. An enclosed auto carrier provides the best protection from all weather or road hazards. This, however, makes it more expensive. This option can also be a bit slower because there are less encolsed car carrier in country. An enclosed trailer is more expensive to buy and maintin. Since these carriers carry high-end cargo they need an insurance liability often up to a million dollars, and this is a hefty monthly fee. Thus, enclosed transport is certainly more expensive than open.
As long as you hire a reputable auto transport company you have nothing to worry about even when you chose open carrier. But since you have to be extra protective when shiping your luxury car, you don’t want to take any chances. That is why most luxury car owners choose enclosed car transport.
How much does it cost to ship a luxury car?
The cost of shipping a vehicle varies from $200 to as much as $2000, or more if shipping to Hawaii, Alaska or internationally. When you hire an enclosed carrier expect the rates to be $300 to $400 more expensive than open. The final cost of shipping a luxury car depends on these main factors:
- Exact distance and location
- Vehicle make and model, and modifications
- Vehicle condition – operable or non-operable
- Auto transport carrier type
- Supply and demand within the industry
Additionally, whentyher you choose door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal transport, this will also affect the price. To get a better idea of the economics of car shipping prices refer to our auto shipping cost guide. One thing you should always remember is to not choose an auto transport company based on car shipping price only. Research and choose based on quality of service. Low prices often mean longer time for shipping or low quality service.
Should you get a car shipping insurance?
Owning and taking care of a luxury car is expensive enough. But that does not mean that you should try to save money when it comes to car shipping insurance. Your luxury vehicle might be your biggest investment. We are sure you wouldn’t want to risk losing it. All because you thought getting a car shipping insurance wasn’t important enough. Every car carrier is required by law to offer insurance for its cargo. As mentioned, enclosed carriers usually provide up to a million dollar in cargo insuranse which is most than acceptable for most high-end automobiles. Yet, you need to make sure you are completely comfortable with the amount of car insurance your carrier is providing.
Shipping a car may seem like a daunting task that would cost a fortune. However, choosing the right auto transporter will make the whole process a breeze. Start planning your luxury car transport early. Don’t shy away from asking questions. Relevant and timely information is the key to good decision making.
When you start searching online you will find hundreds of car transport companies. Some are carriers, other brokers, and third only lead generating websites. You should not be worrier, this is the way every industry is represented today. Many companies are both carriers and brokers. Most carriers are small independent businesses that serve only one or two designated routes. Brokers are management companies, they are the connection between you (the shipper) and the carrier. In this industry, brokers, carriers, and customers depend on each other. A good broker company will stay in touch with you from pick-up to delivery of your luxury automobile. When you arrange the vehicle hauling service the carrier becomes your primary point of contact. Any good and honest broker though will confirm that you can count on them with any question at any time. Responsible brokers make sure the customer is happy and satisfied, yet they treat their carrier fair and offer them fair market prices.Thus, an experienced broker company will explain to you how car shipping prices work and what is a fair and realistic market price of shipping a vehicle. Since this is probably one of the most imporatnt aspects when it comes to shipping a vehicle, you should discuss transport cost and analyze the answers you receive.
Do you have any questions or need a good walk through the luxury vehicle shipping process? Are you ready to schedule your exotic car transport? If so, call our team at (818) 850-5258 or request a quote online. Thank you!