For a stress-free experience, take some time and understand the basics of auto transport. In this guide, we’ll share our expertise and go over the key points of vehicle shipping. You can certainly just give us a call and our experienced logistics agents will help you select a service that fits your needs.
What are my options when shipping a car from California to Texas?
When you need to move a vehicle from one location to another your two main option – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving from California to Texas would be a great option if you have plenty of free time and enjoy being behind the wheel. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off everything else and forces you to focus on the activity of driving. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead of driving it.
- Hiring an auto transport company saves you time and spares your car additional hundreds of miles of unnecessary wear and tear. Driving from California to Texas means adding over a thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses a long road trip entails.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
In general, you’ll have a choice based on the type of carrier and on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of carrier type should really be influenced by the type of vehicle you need to ship. Standard everyday sedans, such as your Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla usually go onto an open-air trailer. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic vehicle you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- A standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to few days. Delivery, in this case, from California to Texas would be 7-10 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates. Carriers are picking up and dropping off shipments, hence, delays may happen, due to weather, traffic, or other customers postponements.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to play around your schedule, which naturally increases the price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from California to Texas?
Several variables decide the final cost of shipping a vehicle. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are always cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate as well. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are more affordable. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Short distances still consume gas, and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns and villages to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up, or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on almost every route.
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
Domestic transport is easy and simple. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Moving from California to Texas
California is the most populous and one of the largest states in the US. Yet, Texas is not far behind. It’s second by population and actually second by territory, following Alaska. If you ever decide to go on a road trip across Texas it would take you approximately 15 hours to drive across it. So when we talk about moving from California to Texas, we shouldn’t compare them by population or territory.
Official statistics show that the median household income in California is $61,933 versus the national average of $53,657 and Texas $53,035. That means that for the same amount of work in California you get paid more than in the rest of the country.
However, economists claim that Texas has a more stable economy than California and offers great opportunities. Plus, Dallas is among the top ten growth areas in the United States. It is said that North Texas has a thriving job market, with great salaries and a variety of great companies to work for. That makes Dallas-Fort Worth area the perfect place for career-driven people.
In contrast, California’s situation is nothing like that, with the exception San Francisco and its Silicon Valley. The actual best part about California is its nature and a myriad of exciting opportunities when it comes to art and culture. Yet, Texas is holding up with its popular music scene.
If you are moving to Texas you have to know it is not like California at all. It has its own charm, but if you are moving there, you’ve probably been there and now this already. While household moving will be your main focus, don’t forget to schedule your auto transport as well. Remember – Corsia Logistics is always there for your car shipping needs!