Shipping a car from Florida to Massachusetts is easy. For a stress-free experience, take some time to understand the basics of auto transport. In this guide, we’ll share our expertise and go over the key points of vehicle shipping. Please, do not hesitate to call us! Our experienced logistics agents will be happy to walk you through the process, and help you select a suitable service.
What are my options when shipping a car from Florida to Massachusetts?
When you need to move a vehicle from one location to another your two main option – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving from Florida to Massachusetts is a great option, if you have plenty of free time, enjoy being behind the wheel, and want to see the east coast. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off of everything and forces you to focus on the activity of driving. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead of driving it.
- Hiring an auto transport company saves you time, and spares your car additional hundreds of miles of unnecessary wear and tear. Driving means adding over a thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
In general, you’ll have a choice based on the type of carrier and on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of carrier type should really be influenced by the type of vehicle you need to ship. Standard everyday sedans, such as your Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla usually go onto an open-air trailer. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic vehicle you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- A standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to five days. Delivery, in this case, from Florida to Massachusetts is 2 to 3 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates. Carriers are picking up and dropping off shipments, hence, delays may happen, due to weather, traffic, or other customers’ postponements.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to play around your schedule, which naturally increases the price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from Florida to Massachusetts?
Several variables decide the final cost of shipping a vehicle. Vehicle make and model, together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters into the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are always cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier. This then impacts your final shipping price.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate as well. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns and villages to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up, or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- The basics principles of supply and demand are known by most people, and they apply in the auto transport industry as well. When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on almost every route.
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
Domestic transport is easy and simple. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Moving from one place to another often takes weeks of preparation and several days in the actual moving. Not only do you have to plan the entire process, but you also have to deal with scheduling and coordinating people and companies. That often includes thinking of the shipping of your car that is done by a separate company! Household moving companies do not move cars, they are only licensed for household. Companies like us are licensed to move motor vehicles of all types. Moving a car is done via a specialized car carrier truck. Shipping a car works differently than shipping your household property. Call us now to discuss your price and options.
Why do people choose to hire an auto transport company?
Many of the reasons people prefer auto transport have a lot to do with why the other alternatives are not that great. Let’s take driving the vehicle yourself, for instance. We already noted that it takes time – to prepare and driving itself. It requires quite a bit of planning also. But we have not mentioned the fact that road trips require your car to be in perfect condition. That means paying for a full-on maintenance check, after which repairs are often necessary.
Driving itself is also quite a problem. You do not have unlimited energy and driving takes a toll on people. Too often they overestimate their driving endurance. But let us be clear – most people are not great drivers at long distances. So, such trips increase the chance of car accidents. Plus, even when everything goes great, wear and tear on your car is still a problem. The engine only has so much life, and a thousand miles off it is not something to brush over. This option is good for those ready for a road trip, car ready and phisically and mentally ready. It is often a great option for those buying a car from eBay and need to move it because they are excited and ready to go and get it.
The same applies to the option of hiring a professional driver. Sure, you will not be the one driving, but your car still gets used. You also have to be comfortable with allowing other people to drive your car for that long of a distance. So, if you are one of those don’t touch my stuff type of people it will not work for you.
When you hire a car shipping company your car gets transported in a trailer – open or enclosed. No driving, no wear and tear, no engine failures. And if that is not reason enough to go with an auto transport company, the other benefit is the sheer freedom you have with this service. Your time will be your own, there are no hidden fees, and you can actually have peace of mind that your vehicle is in good hands.
How does the service work exactly?
An auto transport company like Corsia Logistics will schedule your shipment and deliver your car within a certain time frame. Based on a few factors this will mean anywhere from 3 to 5 days to deliver. The company will also need similar time frame to schedule a truck to pick up the car. That estimated pick-up date is among the most bothering things to customers. But the fact is that moving a car is not like a residential move. With household moving, a company often makes their schedule months in advance. In contrast, auto transport carriers’ schedule is usually prepared a week or two in advance, due to the nature of the service.
Sometimes a truck can get scheduled and loaded the same day. If, for example, there is an event somewhere and someone needs eight or ten cars transported within the next couple of days. But this is the exception rather than the rule, unless it is a car dealership. But even they do not know the exact number of cars they will be transporting on any given week. Hence, transport for private customers is highly affected by supply and demand on any given route.
Because of the process described above, the prices can also fluctuate daily. That is why it is absolutely crucial they are tracked manually. However, most companies use car shipping quote calculator that gives you a flat fee, which is often not a current market price. Here at Corsia Logistics we are famous for giving manual quotes at all times. We have professionals who constantly stay on top of the price fluctuation.
If you would like more detailed explanation of what takes part in the pricing of the service, you can give us a call. One of our experts will guide you through the process, so you can be completely sure in the integrity of our services. You can also read more in our article on how much it costs to ship a car.
Moving to Massachusetts from Florida
When you start checking statistics you can easily discover many similarities between Florida and Massachusetts. However, they are quite different – first in size, second in population and third in climate. These are all serious differences that could sway a person easily. If you are moving to Massachusetts from Florida you may want to know a few things about the state and its major differences with Florida.
The statistics say that public schools are average in both states, although many would argue that. In Boston you will find some of the best universities in the world – Harvard and MIT to set the stage – and we highly doubt public schools are average there, but probably we should trust the statistics. According to places.findthehome.com people in both states are moderately educated, and because Boston does not represent the whole of Massachusetts we can try and trust the statistics to some degree.
One difference that kind of contradicts their own statistics is that in Florida you have lower income middle class, while in Massachusetts it is upper income middle class. Another statistic we should mention is the types of common age groups identified in both states – Florida is represented mostly by retirees over the age of 65, while Massachusetts has a “typical age distribution.” However, both states contain disproportionately large middle aged populations. The average commute time is 26 minutes in Florida and 28 in Massachusetts and the unemployment rate is higher in Florida – about 10 percent versus about 8 percent for Massachusetts.
When you ask which state is better to live, the answers will vary depending on who you ask.
Many retirees will tell you that Florida is better only because of the warm climate, salty water, and laid back culture. However, if you ask a younger person they would tell you Massachusetts is the place to be because of the good colleges, better economy and the fact that you can enjoy all four seasons. So, whether you are moving to Massachusetts or to Florida, just make sure you know the facts and visit prior to moving. Making a decision is not easy, and once you have decided comes the moving itself. And moving is not a simple task. In most cases you will have to hire a moving company to transport your household and an auto transport company to ship your car.