Shipping a car from Los Angeles to New York is easy. We travel this route daily. In this guide we share our expertise and go over key points of vehicle shipping. If you prefer, just call us do not hesitate. Our experienced logistics agents will be happy to walk you through the process and help you select the right service.
Options when shipping a car from Los Angeles to New York
When you need to relocate a vehicle you have two main options – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving from Los Angeles to New York would be a great option, if you have plenty of free time, enjoy being behind the wheel, and want to see the country. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off of everything else and forces you to focus on the activity of driving. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead.
- Hiring an auto transport company saves you time, and spares your car unnecessary wear and tear. Driving such a distance means adding over a thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses a long road trip entails.
What services does an auto transport company offer?
You will have a choice based on the type of carrier and on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of carrier type depends on the type of vehicle being shipped. Standard everyday sedans usually go on an open-air trailer. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic vehicle, you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- Standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to few days. Delivery, in this case, from Los Angeles to New York is about 7 to 10 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates. Carriers are picking up and dropping off shipments, hence, delays may happen.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to depend on your schedule, which naturally increases the price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from Los Angeles to New York?
Several variables decide the final cost to ship a car. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area usually costs more. However, the final deciding factor is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are usually cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier. This then impacts your final shipping price.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects the price. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and usually used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns and villages to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up, or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- The basics principles of supply and demand are known by most people, and they apply in the auto transport industry as well. When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on almost every route.
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
Domestic transport is easy and simple. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Moving from Los Angeles to New York?
New York is a city that defines the east coast, just as L.A. defines the west coast. The two cities are completely different, but the two parameters that are identical are their size and their traffic. The rest is different. The weather, the people, the lifestyle. You will be moving from the west coast to the east coast, so, be prepared for a little culture shock.
If you think you will get away from Los Angeles’s crazy traffic jams, be prepared for New York is not too different. Traffic is intense throughout the metro area, not only in Manhattan. The majority of New York City’s citizens take the trains and the subway, however, cars are still a major mode of transport.
Los Angeles usually ranks number one for the worst traffic jams, but New York is not too far behind. Some studies have found that city commuters spend over 100 hours a year in traffic jams. It is kind of terrifying, so where you live matter a lot.
Los Angeles and New York are both expensive. Unlike Los Angeles county, and California as a whole, New York metro area offers some less expensive options. You can find more affordable housing outside of Manhattan easily.
Hollywood and the entertainment industry is the first option for many people in Los Angeles. This is not the case in New York. The city is a financial hub and you can find a job in this sector if you are qualified. Real estate or education is another good sector with ample opportunities. Cafes and restaurants are always an option when you need to start from somewhere. It all depends on your qualifications and goals, and what you are willing to do to achieve them.
What to do in New York City and state?
When moving from California, adjusting to four seasons may take some time. All four seasons are beautiful and you will find what to do in or outside the city. Even if you are not an outdoorsy person, expect to become one within the first few weeks of moving to New York. Whether you want to spend your free time in downtown New York, or the great outdoors, you will certainly be satisfied with the range of choices.
Congratulations on your moving to New York. To discuss your auto shipping option, please call our logistics experts now. You can certainly request a quote online. We are here to help you ship your car with peace of mind! Thank you!