Review our guide to find answers to frequently asked questions.
- How much does it cost to ship a car?
- What factors affect car shipping costs?
- How many days in advance should I book my shipment?
- How to ship a car to another state? What options do I have?
- What services auto transport companies offer?
How much does it cost to ship a car?
The cost to ship a car is based on several factors such as distance, location, vehicle make and model and type of transport. Supply and demand fluctuations are also a major factor that contributes to price hikes or drops. We work with national dispatch boards tracking market conditions constantly and we will quote you the most current market price with no hidden fees. When you call or request a quote online our logistics experts will discuss your options and budget, and work with you on the best solution.
Rates of Recently Shipped Vehicles from Across the Country:
|$1169||Los Angeles, CA||New York, NY|
|$1,349||Naples, FL||Portland, OR|
|$1,049||Sunnyvale, CA||Orlando, FL|
|$898||Chicago, IL||Los Angeles, CA|
|$1,029||Miami, FL||Oceanside, CA|
|$1,049||San Jose, CA||Washington, DC|
|$1069||Baltimore, MD||Houston, TX|
|$1,129||Cleveland, OH||Sacramento, CA|
|$1,259||Boston, MA||South Pasadena, CA|
|$929||Boulder, CO||Austin, TX|
NOTE: Prices listed here are for a small sedan, shipped via an open carrier. These prices are estimates subject to change on daily basis due to supply and demand fluctuations. For current market price please call or request a quote online.
Request your auto transport quote now!
Getting a grasp of how price formation works in a market economy will help you understand why manual pricing is better. Just like with the stock market, in logistics supply and demand fluctuations happen daily. When you ask how much shipping a car cost, a current market price is what you need. The most accurate price is calculated manually by logistics experts tracking central dispatch boards.
Corsia Logistics provides manual pricing. A car shipping quote calculator often delivers misleading prices. Only an accurately determined price, verified with the national dispatch boards, will ship your vehicle in a timely and professional manner.
Factors Affecting Your Cost to Ship a Car
VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
Smaller cars are cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit they must strictly observe. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications, matter for the total weight of the carrier and impacts the price.
The type of carrier you choose will affect your rate. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method. It is used for all vehicle types and it is the less expensive option. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles. Enclosed carriers are not as readily available and therefore more expensive.
The distance affects the price. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile for the trucker. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work from the truck driver, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. A carrier makes money based on mileage – the more he travels the more profitable the load. Consequently, shorter distances often cost as much as long distance shipping.
LOCATION / POPULATION
The pick-up and delivery locations also affect the price. Transporting to a major metropolitan area means more opportunities for the truckers to fully load their carriers. Auto transport to and from rural areas is a more complex and economically challenging process. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go there for one car only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up. Proximity to major highways also affects the price.
Whether your car is running or not will affect the car shipping cost. If your car is non-running we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This is usually extra work and requires additional equipment. A special truck means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load an inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
SUPPLY & DEMAND
This is a major cost affecting factor. A customer competes against other customers for a spot on the car carrier. When the demand is high the truck space is limited. This means vehicles priced higher ship first. This is how the industry works. It does not really matter how long in advance you booked your order. Higher paying vehicles ship first. Even if you booked a month in advance, a better paying load might become available at any time. Understanding supply and demand fluctuations will help you adjust your budget accordingly.
Additional factors to consider:
Do you need an expedited service? Expedited auto transport service costs more. If you need your vehicle on an exact date or by an exact date expect to pay more.
Do you need door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal? Door-to-door is the standard shipping method. Terminal to terminal auto transport is an option as well, and contrary to popular opinion, it often costs more due to storage fees and travel time to the terminal.
Do you need a top load for your vehicle? Top load means loading a vehicle on the top deck of the trailer. This ensures against possible leaks from other vehicles, and it is generally safer.
How many days in advance should I book my service?
We recommend to our customers to book their service about two weeks in advance. Any time earlier than that does not guarantee lower rate or faster service. The auto transport industry is heavily influenced by supply and demand, and prices often change daily. Sometimes even the same bookings can get a lower price than orders made two weeks in advance.
How to ship a car to another state? What options do I have?
You have two main options when shipping a car across the country. Option one is to hire an auto transport company, and option two is to use a drive-away service. Whether you choose one or the other depends on the distance, your budget and of course on your personal preference. It difficult to claim that one option is cheaper than the other. Many veriables play a role in the cost of moving a vehicle either way.
Option 1: Hire an auto transport company
- This is the best option when you need to move a vehicle more than 200 miles away. Business and private customers hire auto transport companies daily.
- Customers can choose between open and enclosed carriers. Find out more about these services on our website.
- Corsia Logistics rates are affordable to the customer and acceptable by the carriers. This we achieve by manually tracking supply and demand fluctuations daily.
- A manual rate is the golden mean. This is an average rate that is not too high and not too low. Dependable auto transport companies offer such reasonable rates.
- You should have no trouble identifying a dependable auto transport company such as Corsia Logistics. Besides inspecting the price, you have to check licensing, insurance and certainly customer testimonials.
- We do not recommend the use of auction websites because this is where underbidding wars happen. Once your car is booked with a company at a price below realistic market prices, they take it to a dispatch board and it sits there for weeks. A large auction website basically monopolizes the market and prioritizes quantity over quality.
- We encourage you to research beyond the first page of Google. It is advisable that you talk to a few companies first to get an idea of current average auto transport rates.
- Another word of advice is to not use lead provider companies. This is the third player in the auto transport industry. Besides brokers and carriers, what you find online is lead providers. Their websites are often misleading, tricking customers into thinking that they are either a broker or a carrier. But in reality, they are neither.
- Most businesses and individuals use broker / management companies. An auto transport broker will completely manage your shipping. Most companies you find online are brokers who work closely with single owner operator carriers to transport vehicles. This type of relationship ensures efficiency and fair market pricing within the auto transport industry.
- Most carriers are single owner operators who rely on brokers to fill their cargo space. A single company cannot serve the whole country and therefore small companies are the engine of the industry. Moreover, this system of broker and carrier relations keeps the industry in ensures against monopolization of the market by large corporations.
Option 2: Drive the car yourself or find someone to drive
- This is a great option for those of you who like to spend time on the road. Driving is certainly a pleasure when you are not stuck in traffic or in a storm across the country. It is usually bearable by most drivers if the distance is no more than 300 miles.
- Driving across the country is not for everybody. For snowbirds, it could be especially burdening. We recommend that snowbirds hire an auto transport company. Interstate highways are extremely busy and driving could be potentially dangerous. Although driving yourself could save you some money, often it is not worth the time and the effort.
- The alternative is to find someone else to drive your car. This person could be a friend or a relative, or you can try and find drive away companies. With this type of service, you can request a professional driver, but that most likely will cost more. These companies usually check background and driving history of their drivers. You can also request to see references for the person whom they designate to drive your automobile.
What services do auto transport companies offer?
There are two main types of auto transport carriers for customers to choose from – open and enclosed. As you may have guessed, there are operational differences in the two types of services, as well as in the price. Open auto transport is cheaper because it is readily available, insurance for open carriers is generally lower and they do not offer the complete protection as enclosed carrier do. Shipping via an enclosed trailer means higher protection and higher price of shipping. Such carriers offer higher insurance coverage which is recommended for high-end vehicles. For more information about both types of services, please go to our Services section.
For more answers review our How It Works section and our Questions page or call us directly. When it comes to moving a car, it is in your best interest to understand how the process works. In this guide, we have included the most important information you should understand when booking an auto transport service. Thank you.