When relocating long distance or going for a long vacation you may need to ship your vehicle. First, you will need to research and find a reliable car transport company like Corsia Logistics. Our team will be happy to help you move your vehicle, contact us and we will explain the process and provide you with an affordable car shipping quote. Second, you need to decide on pick-up and delivery dates and schedule your service.
Besides that you will also have the choice between open and enclosed carrier. Open auto transport is the most common method of shipping and it is used for all types of vehicles. If you are transporting a sports or luxury automobile enclosed would be a great option as well because it offers better protection. However, whether you choose open or enclosed you still need to prepare your car for shipping.
How to Prepare a Car for Shipping:
- Detail / Wash your vehicle. Clean it inside and out so you can do a thorough inspection. The inspection is a very important component of the vehicle shipping process. Washing it will make it easy for you and the trucker to check for scratches and dings on the outside, and mark down any wear and tear on the interior. Take photos to document the condition of your vehicle at pick-up and compare with the condition at delivery.
- Take down any aftermarket accessories. Secure or remove any spoilers, ski or bike racks or other detachable elements as these can damage the vehicle during transport. Also, make sure convertible tops and windows are secured and closed properly.
- Disable all car alarms or make sure you have given instructions to the car transport company how to disconnect it in case the alarm goes off. If an alarm goes off and the trucker does not know how to disable it they have the right to mechanically remove the alarm.
- Do not top off your gasoline. It is recommended that you leave less than half a tank gas for the company to load and unload the vehicle. They do not need more as they will not be driving the car unless otherwise specified in the order.
- Check your vehicle with a mechanic to make sure there are no fluid leaks and the breaks are working properly. Make sure the tires are also in a good shape and fully inflated. If you have fluid leaks tell the company so they can prevent leaks on other cars. In such a case they have to load your vehicle at the lower deck.
- Verify the car shipping insurance. Ask the auto transport company about their insurance policy, they can tell you for how much your vehicle is insured during transit and send you a copy of the policy.
- Ask how to track your vehicle. Most auto transport companies will explain that when you ask. With us you can track your vehicle live by calling us during business hours or emailing at anytime. With Corsia Logistics we send a copy of the insurance upon customer’s request, however we always check the carrier’s insurance before dispatch.
If you have more questions about the car shipping services, please refer to our Car Shipping Questions section and browse our website. We have included plenty of information to help you understand the auto transport process. You can also always call our team to discuss your options and needs. Thank you.