Shipping a car from Boston to Los Angeles is very easy with Corsia Logistics. We serve this route on regular basis. Please, however, take some time to understand the auto transport process. In this guide, we’ll share our expertise and go over the key aspects of vehicle shipping. Still, if you prefer, you can and our experienced logistics agents will be happy to walk you through the steps, and help you select a service.
What are my options when shipping a car from Boston to Los Angeles
When you need to move a vehicle across the country, you have two main options – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving from west to east coast would be awesome, if you have the free time to spare, enjoy being behind the wheel about two weeks, and want to see as much of the country as possible. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car. Driving for 2000 or more miles is a serious job that is better left to the professionals.
- Hiring an auto transport company saves you time and spares your car additional hundreds of miles of unnecessary wear and tear. Driving from Boston to Los Angles means adding over a thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses a long road trip entails.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
Auto transport services split in two categories to choose from – by the type of carrier and by the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of carrier type should really be influenced by the type of vehicle being shipped. Standard everyday sedans, such as a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla are cars for open carrier. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic car you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- A standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to few days. Delivery, in this case, from Chicago to Miami would be 4-6 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to play around your schedule, which naturally means higher price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from Chicago to Miami?
Several variables decide the final cost of shipping a vehicle. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters into the equation.
Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking-up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are always cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight and the final price.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate immediate. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns and villages to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up, or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more time, special skill set and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on almost every route.
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
Domestic transport is easy and simple. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Why people choose to hire an auto transport company?
First, it causes no wear and tear on your vehicle, also zero risk of being involved in a traffic accident, which means comfortably flying to your new home instead of spending days on the road driving and more time about getting your new home ready and no need to sleep in suspicious motels just to save money because driving long distance means spending money on food, gas and lodging. An auto transport company will schedule your shipment and deliver your car in your desired time frame.
The difference between the two cities is not only their size. Los Angeles is a major metropolitan area – nearly 20 million people, wheres Boston is a city of about 2 million with the suburbs. So, this is the first major difference. Two million versus twenty million people metropolis is a huge difference to begin with. We are not going to compare the tow cities in full details here. If you would like to read a guide about moving to Boston or one about moving to Los Angeles we have the latter for you.
Boston vs. Los Angeles
Besides the size of the cities, another big difference is the climate. The climate in Boston is continental with humid hot summers and cold snowy winters. It may sounds normal, but in fact it can get really cold and snowy in the winter. The climate in Los Angeles is Subtropical-Mediterranean, but in the last few years the drought has been very bad and the precipitation very low. The two climates are very different and contribute to a very different lifestyle and thus culture. Which leads me to my next point.
The East coast culture is quite different than the West coast culture. I will not go in much detail here, but the fact is that people’s lifestyle, mindsets and attitudes depend very much on their environment. East coast life style is more fast paced while on the West coast people are more relaxed laid back. You can even recognize this by people’s pace.
The three major differences between Boston and Los Angeles:
- the size
- the climate
- the culture
The difference is also visible in the way people dress – casual versus business; the way people talk and probably the way people drive. Additionally, you will find a lot of information about how most people in Boston are business oriented or want to become lawyers, while in Los Angeles everybody wants to be an actor. While this sounds like an overblown generalization, it is probably not too far from the truth. So, besides the climate, the culture – in all its aspects – is what will probably shock you the most. When you move to California you will feel a bit like you have moved to a different country. Good luck and enjoy it!