Shipping a car from Montana to Florida is easy. For a peace of mind, take some time to understand the basics of auto transport. In this guide, we’ll share our expertise and go over the key points of vehicle shipping. You can also just call us – our experienced logistics agents will be happy to walk you through the steps of the car shipping process, and help you select services that you need.
What are my options when shipping a car from Montana to Florida?
When you need to move a vehicle from one location to another you have two main options – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving from Montana to Florida would be a great option if you have free time, enjoy being behind the wheel, and want to see as much of the country as you possibly can. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off of everything else, and forces you to focus on the activity of driving. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead of driving it.
- Shipping your car saves you time and spares additional hundreds of miles, and unnecessary wear and tear to your vehicle. Driving from Montana to Florida means adding over a thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses a long road trip entails.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
In general, you’ll have a choice based on the type of carrier and on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of carrier type should really be influenced by the type of vehicle you need to ship. Standard everyday sedans, such as your Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla usually go onto an open-air trailer. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic vehicle you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- A standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to few days. Delivery, in this case, from Chicago to Miami would be 4-6 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates. Carriers are picking up and dropping off shipments, hence, delays may happen, due to weather, traffic, or other customers’ postponements.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to play around your schedule, which naturally increases the price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from Montana to Florida?
The price from and to any destination is never a constan. Several variables decide the final cost of shipping a vehicle. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters into the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are always cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate as well. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often could cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle only. This often means higher prices and longer wait for pick-up, or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- The basics principles of supply and demand apply in the auto transport industry as well. When supply is higher than demand prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes daily.
What documents do I need when shipping a car from Montana to Florida?
Domestic transport is easy. You, or someone on your behalf, has to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt, but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Moving from cold Montana to the Sunshine State
Montana — the land of cold temperatures and warm people. If you’ve lived in Montana for long, it would be hard to leave behind its breathtaking scenery, amazing summers, and welcoming people. Nevertheless, if you’ve had enough of the cold and snow and would love to move to a warmer place, where better to move to than the Sunshine State? It rarely snows in Florida, and most parts of the state have a subtropical climate with mild winters and hot and humid summers.
Other than the weather, Florida and Montana differ from one another in so many aspects. Even though Montana is the 4th largest state in terms of land area, the state is the 8th least populous one in the US. Florida, on the contrary, is the third most populous one and the 8th most densely populated, while Montana the 3rd least densely populated in the United States.
Housing and Living Costs
No matter where in Florida you will move to, get ready to pay the “Sunshine tax” as soon as you move there. The living and housing costs in most cities in Florida are much more expensive than in Montana.
Tampa, for example, is 6% more expensive than Billings and the transportation costs in Tampa are 55% more expensive. If we compare Miami to Billings, we can see that Miami is way more expensive too. The cost of living in Miami is 33% more expensive than in Billings, while the median home cost is 46% more expensive. Compare more cities in Montana to cities in Florida on this Cost of Living Comparison site.
Montana’s economy is mainly based on agriculture (ranching and cereal grain farming), healthcare, government sectors, and coal, oil, gas, hard rock mining. Florida’s economy is mainly fueled by manufacturing, trade, financial services, transportation services, and construction. According to the Florida Chamber Foundation, Florida managed to surpass the $1 trillion mark in mid-July 2018.
Tourism is a major contributor to the economies of both countries. Attractions such as the Glacier National Park, Yellowstone National Park, the Beartooth Highway, Flathead Lake, Big Sky Resort, and others bring around 13 million tourists from all over the world to Montana every year. Florida on the other side, has set tourism records for six consecutive years. In 2016 the state welcomed 112.8 million tourists.
Activities in the Sunshine Stat[/4]
Located in the Northwestern United States, Montana is one of the nine Mountain States in the Western United States region and is often nicknamed as the Big Sky Country and the Treasure State. While an outdoorsy person would usually go hiking, fishing, and hunting in Montana, the case would be slightly different in Florida. The Land of Flowers offers plenty of opportunities to go surfing, swimming, biking, walking, kayaking, hiking, and other enjoyable activities.
Make sure you also visit the Kennedy Space Center, Universal Orlando, Duval Street, Mallory Square, Daytona 500 International Speedway, Giraffe Ranch, Epcot Theme Park, Florida Keys, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Busch Garden in Tampa,the South Beach, SeaWorld Orlando, Sanibel Island, Magic Kingdom, the Everglades National Park, and the Dry Tortugas National Park as soon as you get the chance.
Moving to Florida with a car
If you are moving from Montana to Florida with a car, you will do yourself a favor since having a car in Florida is necessary if you want to get around on your own schedule. As soon as you move to the Land of Flowers, you will have up to 30 days to register and title your vehicle with your local DHSMV. Just make sure you read more about all the documents you need to prepare in advance, to make the registering process easier.