Shipping a car from New York to Los Angeles is easy. In this guide we go over key points of vehicle shipping. If you prefer please, do not hesitate to call us. Our experienced logistics agents will be happy to walk you through the car shipping process, and help you select a service.
What are my options when shipping a car from New York to Los Angeles?
When you need to move a vehicle from one location to another you have two main options – driving the car or shipping the car.
- Driving would be a great option if you have plenty of free time and enjoy being behind the wheel. Road trips are also great because driving can be a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off everything else and forces you to focus on the activity of driving. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead of driving it.
- Hiring an auto transport company saves you time and spares your car additional hundreds of miles of unnecessary wear and tear. Driving from New York to Los Angeles means adding over two thousand miles to the odometer, oil change, flat tires, and other possible issues. Shipping, on the other hand, is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses and the amortization of your automobile.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
In general, you’ll have a choice based on the type of carrier and on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Choosing a carrier type really depends on the type of vehicle you need to ship. Standard everyday sedans, such as your Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla usually go on an open-air trailer. If you need to ship a high-end sports or luxury automobile, or any classic vehicle you should choose enclosed trailer. Enclosed auto transport offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- Standard car shipping means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to five days. Delivery, in this case from New York to Los Angeles, would be 7-10 days. However, please keep in mind that all dates and times are only estimates. Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date and time.
How much does it cost to ship a car from New York to Los Angeles?
The price from and to any destination changes weekly. Several variables decide the final cost of shipping a vehicle. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price for shipping. Then the choice of carrier type enters the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle to and from a rural area is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are usually cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier vehicles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must observe when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier. This then impacts your final shipping price.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate as well. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, availability of open carriers is much higher and prices are cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas could be more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns to pick-up or deliver a single vehicle. This often means higher prices and longer shipping times. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- The basic principles of supply and demand apply in the auto transport industry as well. When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices go up. In auto logistics, when demand is high the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on almost every route.
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
Domestic transport is easy and simple. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. The person at pick-up will also need to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt but also an inspection report. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document and don’t forget to get your copy before the driver leaves the site.
Moving a vehicle from New York to Los Angeles means embarking on a cross country road trip. The main question for you is whether you or a truck driver will take on the road. Driving across the country could be stressful and exhausting. The best option is to hire a full service auto transport company and have a peace of mind.
The cost to ship a car again
The cost to ship a car from New York to Los Angeles could be anywhere from $1000 to over $1500. The final price depends on the car’s make and model, modifications, type of transport, exact pick up and delivery location, distance, as well. Current market conditions – high volume of people moving to Los Angeles metro area for example – could affect demand for trucks and thus increase the price. Supply and demand are usually the decisive factors when it comes to prices. That is why it is very important to track prices manually on the dispatch boards to quote correct prices that will ship a vehicle in a timely and professional manner.
We provide our customers with manual rates. Manual rates means that we do not employ car shipping quote calculator. We track the prices manually on the national dispatch boards. This is very important in order to provide customers with a realistic market price because supply/demand fluctuations happen daily and only a manual price will be the most accurate. It is important to understand the difference between a manual price and a quote from a car shipping quote calculator.
We take pride in providing personalized options and manual prices because this guarantees professional and timely auto transport service, hence a satisfied customer.
- New York to Los Angeles – $1449
- New York to San Diego – $1489
- New York to Sacramento – $1489
- New York to San Francisco – $1549
Please keep in mind that these are average rates for open carrier, transporting a mid-size sedan. Prices vary based on several factors as we mentioned above. Prices are also affected by the demand and supply situation, which our agents track daily and provide manual pricing which is the most accurate pricing.
For the most current price, please request a quote online or call us at (818) 850-5258. Also, check what our customers say about us online to help you understand our personal approach.
Moving from New York to Los Angeles
Moving out of state is not the most pleasant experience, especially when you have to deal with moving all of your household belongings. However, just the thought that you are moving to California must be warming your heart! West coast is a very different place than the east coast. The pace of life is slower on the west coast, the sun is shining every day (unless you are moving to San Francisco) and the roads are wider, and free (no tolls in California). This really gives you a sense of freedom (unless you are stuck in LA traffic). Not everything is perfect, but no place on the planet is ever perfect.
Moving to California will definitely change your perception of life, however. Los Angeles is very different than New York. The sheer vastness of it affects your state of mind. Then the climate affects you as well. The weather is usually the best thing, and the sole reason for many people to relocate to California. You could even be in a bit of a shock at first, especially when coming from New York City.
East coast is thought of as more stiff and cold, with all people very much focused on work and money, while the west coast is where people want to enjoy life more than anything else. Once you move to California, it will be very difficult to go back to New York, to the humidity and to the tolled and tight roads. Very few have returned.
From the East Coast to the West Coast
People often dream about leaving their busy New York lifestyle behind and start a new life in Los Angeles — the city of Angels. Now you will soon be able to live that dream and head to Los Angeles’ sunny beaches, hopefully without any regrets. You’re not the only one moving from the East Coast to the West Coast. There are hundreds of people moving to the La La Land every day and consequently increasing its population density. Currently, the population in LA is approaching the 4 million mark, and the city is the second most populous in the United States.
The weather will be a big plus for you if you’ve had enough of New York’s humid subtropical/continental climate with freezing cold winters. Los Angeles doesn’t have any well-defined seasons. Its climate consists of a repeated pattern of warm days, cool nights, and a few rainy days.
Economy and employment
Home to Paramount Pictures and 20th Century Fox, and six Fortune 500 companies, the city’s economy is one of the most competitive ones in the US. According to the Global Financial Centres Index, Los Angeles was among the sixth most competitive financial centers in the US in 2017. The entertainment industry, technology, aerospace, tourism, international trade, law, fashion, finance, healthcare, telecommunications, and transportation are some of the key industries that keep L.A.’s economic engine up and running.
Even though the city is worldwide famous for its celebrity stars and Hollywood neighborhood — the home of the US film industry, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have to find a job in the entertainment industry. As mentioned above, the city’s economy is made up of various industries where you can apply for any open vacations or just follow your goal of becoming an entrepreneur or the owner of your own business/startup company. As a technology hub, the city also offers an abundance of tech-related jobs.
Housing and living costs
The Los Angeles County is made up of 16 neighborhoods you can pick from, be it the Atwater Village, Beverly Grove, Burbank, Culver City, Downtown, Echo Park, Westwood, Beverlywood, Cheviot Hills, or Beverly Hills. Since you will move from New York, one of the most expensive cities in the US, housing and living costs in Los Angeles will not seem as expensive. In comparison to New York, the living costs in East Los Angeles are 27% less expensive, while the median home cost is 34% cheaper than in New York.
Things to see in L.A. once you settle
The breathtaking nature of Los Angeles is one you should enjoy to the fullest as soon as you get the chance. If you also love outdoor activities, LA never stops offering new things to explore with each passing day. Visit the Hollywood sign, Disneyland, Runyon Canyon Park, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Santa Monica Pier, Museum of Art, Dolby Theatre, Griffith Park, and Madame Tussauds Hollywood, and other top sights. Moreover, if you prefer to camp, hike, walk, surf, barbecue, and so on, feel free to do so as well. LA’s great weather will be your greatest cheerleader, no matter what you decide to do with your free time.
Taking your car is a must
According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you will have to register your car within the first 20 days of your move. And then you have to obtain a California driver’s license within the first 10 days. In order to get your vehicle registered, you also need to hold a valid car insurance. We strongly recommend you to read more about these formalities, and all the required documents you need to prepare before visiting your local DMV Office.
Moving to Los Angeles is well worth it even if it is only for the sunny days. The climate is definitely amazing and many people would never trade it for the east coast. It will be an adventure, but only by living in California you will be able to decide whether it suits you or not. Happy moving and happy car shipping. Thank you!