In this guide, we’ll share our expertise and go over the key points of vehicle shipping. Our experienced logistics agents will walk you through the car shipping process and help you select the best service according to your needs and preferences.
The distance from New York to California is about 2,800 miles. This entails a long distance trip, which is a daily routine for hundreds of CDL drivers. Driving across the country is stressful and exhausting for an inexperienced person. The best option is to hire an auto transport company and have peace of mind.
What are my options when shipping a car from New York to California?
When you need to move a vehicle across the country, you have two option – to drive the car or to ship the car.
- Driving from New York to California would be a great option, if you have plenty of free time, enjoy being behind the wheel, and want to see places across the country. Road trips are also great because driving is a sort of meditation. It takes your mind off of everything, and forces you to focus on the road. Driving long distances, however, is not for everybody. When the distance is greater than 200 miles, we recommend shipping your car instead of driving it.
- Hiring an auto transport company means peace of mind. It saves you time, and spares your car unnecessary wear and tear. Driving from New York to California means adding more than 2000 miles to the odometer. Shipping, on the other hand, spares your car additional miles, and it is often cheaper than driving, once you consider all the expenses a long road trip entails.
What types of services does an auto transport company offer?
Customers, shipping any type of vehicles, usually have to choose based on two criteria – one is based on the type of carrier and on the other on the time frame of delivery. Corsia Logistics provides the following car shipping services:
- by carrier type: open and enclosed trailer
- by time frame: standard and expedited delivery
- OPEN OR ENCLOSED
- Your choice of car carrier should be based on the type of vehicle being ship. Standard everyday sedans, such as a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla, usually go on an open car carrier. If you need to ship a high-end automobile, or any classic vehicle, the best choice is to go for enclosed auto transport trailer. Enclosed carrier offers complete protection from weather and road elements.
- STANDARD OR EXPEDITED
- A standard car shipping service usually means that a carrier will pick up your vehicle within one to few days. Delivery, in this case, from New York to California is 7-10 days. However, keep in mind that all dates are only estimates. Carriers are picking up and dropping off shipments, hence, delays may happen.
Expedited delivery could guarantee that your car is picked up or delivered on or by a specified date. This, however, requires the whole schedule of the truck to play around your schedule, which naturally increases the price.
How much does it cost to ship a car from New York to California?
Several variables decide the cost of ship a car. Vehicle make and model together with the distance set the base price. Then the choice of carrier type enters the equation. Shipping a non-running car drives the price up due to additional time and equipment. Picking up and delivering a vehicle, to and from a rural area, is a logistical challenge that usually costs more. However, the deciding factor of all is the current supply and demand situation on a given route. Review all factors in detail below.
- VEHICLE MAKE & MODEL
- Smaller cars are usually cheaper to ship, while bigger, heavier automobiles are more expensive. Auto transport carriers have a weight limit that they must adhere to when accepting vehicles. Thus, the make and model of your vehicle, as well as any modifications done to it, and whether there will be any personal items loaded inside, all matter for the total weight of the carrier. This impacts your final shipping price.
- TRANSPORT TYPE
- The type of carrier you choose affects your rate as well. Open auto transport is the standard shipping method in the industry. It is used for all vehicle types, and it is readily available. This means it is easier to schedule and cheaper. Enclosed auto transport is more expensive and often used for sports, luxury or classic automobiles.
- The distance always affects the price of shipping. The longer the distance the less it costs per mile, but that is never the decisive factor in the final cost. Shorter distances still consume gas and require the same amount of work, but in the end it is fewer miles traveled. This means that shorter distances often cost as much as shipping a car across the country.
- LOCATION / POPULATION
- Auto transport to and from rural areas is more complex and challenging. Fewer auto haulers are willing to go to remote towns and villages for a single vehicle. This often means higher prices, and longer wait for pick-up or delivery. The majority of the truck drivers prefer to travel to major metro areas, where loads availability is higher.
- VEHICLE CONDITION
- To ship a non-running vehicle we need a truck that can winch it onto the trailer. This requires more work, more time and a special truck. A fitted carrier, and special skill set means a higher rate. In some cases, we may even need a forklift to load a fully inoperable vehicle, which additionally increases the price.
- SUPPLY & DEMAND
- The basics principles of supply and demand, apply in the auto transport industry as well. When supply is higher than demand, prices drop, but when demand is higher prices increase. In auto logistics, when demand is high, the truck space is limited and this means the prices increase. That is why a quote is good for one week only because demand changes on every route often daily.
Manual rates vs. calculator
We provide our customers with manually calculated rates. Manual rates mean that we do not employ car shipping quote calculator. We track supply and demand fluctuations constantly on the national dispatch boards. It is important to understand the difference between a manual price and a quote from a car shipping quote calculator.
When you contact us we will answer all of your questions and walk you through each step of the process. Whether you have recently purchased a vehicle, or you are moving your personal automobile, we are here to help you understand the auto transport process. Call our logistics experts to discuss your options and schedule your shipment.
Also, check what our customers say about us online to help you understand our personal approach. We are here to help you ship your vehicle from New York to California with piece of mind
What documents do I need when shipping a car?
We do not need any documents. You or someone on your behalf needs to release the vehicle to the carrier at pick-up. Both times someone has to sign a Bill of Lading (BOL). The BOL is not only a receipt, but an inspection report as well. When the carrier inspects the car you need to check with him that all existing damages are marked down before you sign the inspection report. Never sign a blank or incomplete document. Moreover, you should always receive a copy before the driver leaves the site.
From New York to California ..
Moving out of state is not the most pleasant experience, especially when you have to deal with moving all of your household. However, just the thought that you are moving to California must be warming your heart.
West coast is a very different than the east coast. The pace of life is slower on the west coast, the sun is shining every day (unless you are moving to San Francisco) and the roads are wider, and free (freeways we call them). This really gives you a sense of freedom (unless you are stuck in LA traffic of course).
Moving to California
Currently the most populated state in the US, with 39,77 million people, California offers one of the best laid-back lifestyles in the US. Compared to the fast-paced life of New York City specifically, you will have to “slow down” a bit, once you start building your new life in the Golden State. Both New York and California are among the top states in the US that people from all over the world dream of and want to call home.
Moving from expensive New York to yet another expensive state such as California is quite a bold move. You will have to get used to a different atmosphere, cuisine, fashion style, and of course — great weather.
California’s numerous sunny beaches are totally worth it, even though you will have to leave New York behind in order to enjoy them year-round. In contrast to New York’s humid subtropical climate, California has a Mediterranean climate that ranges from polar to subtropical. It is simply amazing because humidity is basically non existent.
California Economy and employment
Just like New York, California’s economy is diverse and well-developed. Furthermore, due to its recent boom in real estate and financial services, California managed to become the fifth-largest economy in the world just recently. Currently, Sacramento is one of the most desired cities and metro areas, with real estate prices still lower than L.A. and San Francisco. With a $2.75 trillion economy, the state offers an abundance of job opportunities in various sectors such as IT, finance, real estate, farming, construction, the entertainment industry, scientific and technical business services, as well as the government.
Things to do in California
Are you ready to fall in love with California’s nature, landscapes, coastline, and its charming people? The state’s population continues to grow steadily, it is expected to reach the 41 million mark by the year 2020.
Its perfect weather allows more room to enjoy all this great state has to offer throughout the year. Besides visiting well-known sights such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, Napa Valley Vineyards, Hollywood, Beverly Hills, and the Death Valley, make sure to also visit Channel Islands, Kings Canyon, the Redwood National and State parks, and plenty of other places along the coast and in the mountains.
Not everything is perfect, but no place on the planet is ever going to be perfect, yet moving to California will definitely change your perception of life. You could even be in a bit of a shock at first, especially for those coming from New York City. However, it is well worth it even if it is only for the sunny days. It will be an adventure, but only by living in California you will be able to decide whether it suits your soul. Happy moving and car shipping! Thank you!