These days, you may feel overwhelmed with information about the novel coronavirus. It’s important we don’t let this outbreak take over every respect of our lives, and instead, keep calm and stay healthy. This is also how we can protect the people around us.
Below are some tips that can help us stay healthy in any circumstance. They are valid for all times and can also protect us from regular flu or other viruses and bacteria. This is why they must become part of our lifestyle, even after the Covid-19 outbreak is over.
Hygiene is important
- Wash your hand thoroughly with soap and water for 20 seconds and, if possible
- clean your hands with hand sanitizers that contain above 60% alcohol
- Make sure to keep a disinfectant handy, as well as tissue to quickly disinfect your surroundings
- Do not touch your nose, mouth, or eyes with unwashed hands.
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow and then clean your hands
- Don’t forget to clean the surfaces you are frequently in contact with
Keep your vehicle clean
For truck drivers who are still working, for anyone who drives to buy groceries, or for those preparing for a move, maintaining a vehicle’s interior clean is very important. Here is how to do it:
- Disinfect all touch-points of your car before and after driving. These are mainly handles, steering wheel, touch screens, gear lever. Avoid having someone else drive the car afterward.
- Any surface carries a risk of spreading the virus, so you should make sure to wipe and clean as much as possible. Wet towels or a cloth with alcohol on it are good cleaning tools in this case.
- If you need to refuel your car, wear gloves and be very cautious not to touch your face while wearing them. Take them off cautiously once you’re done, dispose of the gloves, clean the fuel filler cap and your hands as well.
- Avoid driving in busy areas or at busy times. However, if you can’t avoid it, keep your windows shut.
Frequently clean your mobile phone
We may keep our hands clean and practice social distancing. However, we shouldn’t forget about our digital gadgets like cellphones, tablets, or computers.
Below is an example of how you can clean your phone:
- Apple has instructed its users to use “a 70 percent isopropyl alcohol wipe or Clorox Disinfecting Wipes” to clean the display, keyboard, or other exterior surfaces. However, make sure not to get moisture into phone openings.
- Samsung also allows the usage of alcohol-based cleaners. However, you need to make sure to wet a soft cloth first, and not the screen directly with the alcohol.
- Don’t forget to clean your phone case. Take it out first, wipe it with an anti-bacterial wet towel (again minimum 60% alcohol), and then wait for it to dry before reattaching it to your phone.
Paying attention to your eating habits is especially important now for two main reasons:
- Eating a balanced diet will strengthen your immune system to better fight Covid-19 or any type of virus. Hence, Vitamin C, D, and other nutrients found in yogurt or meat should be part of your meals.
- It is easy to indulge in overeating while spending most of the time staying and working from home. Therefore, try to set up times for your meals and replace heavy snacks with fresh fruit.
Do not neglect your mental health
Last but not least, do your best to stay positive and take care of your mental health. Some practical tips here include:
- home aerobics
- yoga practice
- read an interesting book
- watch a comedy
- spend time talking to your loved ones
- avoid listening non-stop to Covid-related news
All in all, remember that this situation will pass. For now, we can focus on staying healthy and avoid social contacts to flatten the Covid-19 spread curve.